Last month I talked about the book Love Money, Money Loves You by Sarah McCrum. I am on my second reading. There is more there than you might think. There is an exercise in the book, which I highly recommend, that has you list one thing each day that you value about yourself. Each day start at the top of the list, read all the entries, and add a new one. They don’t have to be super deep and profound. One of mine is “I have a great sense of humor.” Doesn’t matter if others agree. This is my list!
Why is this simple exercise so important? I’ll attempt to unpack that here (aren’t you thoroughly sick of that…people unpacking things?). Moving on.
- We are our own worst critic. So, writing down what you value about yourself helps break that pattern
- You’ll be surprised that you can really write down a lot
- Having more, more money, more love, more whatever requires that you appreciate what you have
- What you appreciate appreciates
- Deserving and gratitude seem to be inescapably linked. We will not get what we do not believe we deserve. Said another way, we will never get more than we believe we deserve
- Getting more, having more, starts with gratitude for what you have
- Spend a few minutes each day appreciating, being grateful for what you have
This exercise is simple and will do the trick. Make a list on a piece of paper, on your computer or phone. Put this at the top: “Find one thing each day to value about yourself and write it down.”
- Begin your list
- Each day get out the list and read each entry
- Add one thing each day
That’s it. There are really two exercises here. Take a few minutes each day to be grateful for what you have. Add to your list of what you value about yourself.
Here are some things I am grateful for:
- I love this season, from Thanksgiving weekend and the showing of The Wizard of Oz through New Year’s Eve. I love the lights, the decorations, gathering and the general sense of festiveness of this time of year. My mom loved this time of year and tended to go overboard on gift giving.
- I am grateful for you, our clients, work partners, vendors, and referral sources.
- I am grateful for the referrals you have sent our way this year.
- Grateful to have Julie and Isis on our team. They are game changers.
- Grateful for our family and friends.
- Grateful for Maggie and her endless love and support.
- Grateful for Lily and Fafi. Fafi came to live with us this year and is living her best life.
If there is anything you need or if you just want to connect, please don’t hesitate to schedule some time. We’d love to hear from you.
Have a great month 🏳🌈